Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A visit to a friend's farm





Today I took the kids to my friend (and our former dog trainer) Jen's farm. She and her husband Chuck are trying to fulfill their dreams of living a self-sustaining lifestyle. I am truly inspired whenever I read her blog or talk with her about how they are beginning to fulfill this dream. I know I can never achieve what they are trying to, but I enjoy learning from her and try to apply the knowledge as best as a a lay person can. Here are the links to her blogs in case anyone is interested:
and
The kids enjoyed the farm. Jake wouldn't feed the animals, but he was fearless of them. He walked right up to the Highlander (again for the lay person....the red cow with the horns) and was like "hi"! The cows were all very curious of the kids, as were the sheep. Ryan was brave enough to feed them some grain, with me holding his hand of course. She showed us the ducks, and their eggs, the chicken and their eggs, the rooster-which Ryan said "cock-a-to-do" to. It was a lot of fun. We also got to see her daughter Ilana, whom we hadn't seen since she was just a few weeks old. What a porkchop, a true example of how good breast milk can be for babies.
It was a very pleasant day, and we would have loved to stay longer, but with 3 young kids, I was lucky to get the time that we did.

No comments: